Sunday, January 9, 2011

Molto Bene!

#1: Try 100 new recipes. (3/100)
This was my conversation with Tom before bed last night...
Tom: G'night, honey.
Me: (silence)
Tom: What is it?
Me: There are so many ways to make lasagna...

My thoughts have been consumed with lasagna for most of this weekend. I made two different kinds for our small group this week: one meat (ground turkey and Italian sausage), one veggie (yellow squash and spinach). I've made lasagna before, but I'm counting these toward my #1 goal because they were completely different from the other ones I've done, and they were extra-special because I actually made the sauce, which I'd never done before. These two also turned out a lot better than any others I had ever made. Yay!

#28: Watch every Best Picture Oscar winner from 1960-2013. (14/53)
We rented The Godfather on demand the other night. This is another one of those movies I can't believe I had never seen before; it was incredible, of course. I also got a Sicilian pizza for dinner that night, by the way; it just seemed like the right thing to do. :)

#10: Read 30 non-academic books. (0/30)
I'm getting close to finishing the book The American Plague; though I'm not crazy about the way this author writes, the story itself is intriguing. It's about the US yellow fever epidemic and the discovery that mosquitoes were the vectors by which the virus spread. In those days, viruses were not even widely acknowledged as real organisms, much less something that could make people sick; bloodborne illness (as opposed to airborne or waterborne) was a fairly new concept as well. It's really amazing to think of how far public health has come in the past 100 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment