Saturday, January 1, 2011

Dinner and a Movie

#1: Try 100 new recipes. (1/100)
#28: Watch every Best Picture Oscar winner from 1960-2013. (12/53)

I wanted to get a jump start on #1; I mean, 100 is a big number! At first it was 50, but trying new recipes is something I do fairly often anyway, so 50 over 2.5 years didn't really seem like much of a challenge.

Today being New Year's Day, I had been thinking of something really complicated and decadent for dinner, but just coming off of Christmas and a New Year's Eve party, Tom and I decided against that...! He said he was in the mood for something Mexican but light, so I immediately thought of veggie fajitas. I went to allrecipes.com and found a recipe for Fajitas Primavera, which included the obligatory onions and peppers, but also had mushrooms, corn, tomatoes, kidney beans, green beans, and asparagus.


Here's the finished product. (Sorry about the photo quality, or lack thereof; I took it with my phone.) They turned out really well! Sure, they were really runny because of all the water from the veggies, and we overstuffed our tortillas so a lot of stuff fell out, but it was a pretty delicious mess. :)

After dinner, we weren't really in a football-watching mood, so I went out and rented West Side Story, which won Best Picture in 1962. As much as I love musicals, I can't believe I had never seen that movie before! I think it was a little hard to get used to the dialog at first (meaning that I was trying not to giggle at words like "hoodlum" and "daddy-o" and the line about "poopin' around with dumb broads"), but overall it was very good. And that soundtrack...ahh. But after all these months of using Redbox, I can't justify paying $3 for every movie I get at Blockbuster. Is it possible that Netflix is in our future?

No comments:

Post a Comment