Saturday, April 16, 2011

Good Eats

#1: Try 100 new recipes.
We recently acquired some chorizo sausage (thank you, Food Line), and I wanted to use some of it for quiche this weekend. I looked at some recipes online, but nothing really jumped out at me. So I turned to our Good Eats cookbook. Tom's brother Patrick gave it to us for our first Christmas as a married couple, and it has every recipe from the first season of the show with the same title. Alton Brown had a recipe for what he referred to as "refrigerator pie," because you can use pretty much any combination of stuff from your fridge. So I layered the chorizo with onions, bell peppers, and some fiesta-blend cheese. Oh my. It was so...good.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of good sausage recipes:
    * 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
    * 1 (12 ounce) package bow-tie pasta (tri-color if you can get it)
    * 1/2 of a 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    * 16 ounce jar alfredo sauce
    * black pepper to taste

    Directions

    1. Bring a large skillet to medium heat, crumble the sausage into it, stir occasionally until brown.
    2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the bow-tie pasta, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot; stir in alfredo sauce, spinach and crumbled cooked sausage. Continue to stir over medium-low heat until sauce is warm enough to serve.
    3. Om nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm using chorizo instead of Italian sausage, do I need to modify step 3...?

    ReplyDelete