Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Nickname in High School

#51: Choose walking over driving five times.
I totally forgot Tom and I did this a few weeks ago! There's this great place nearby called the Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen (the lack of creativity in the name is not reflective of what they serve...that's all I'm gonna say about that). The weather was so nice, we decided to go for a walk after dinner. It didn't take long for us to choose the Pie Kitchen for our destination, which sort of defeats the purpose of taking a walk, but oh well. It was deeeeelicious!

#28: Watch every Best Picture Oscar winner from 1960-2013.
So, we finally stopped procrastinating and signed up for Netflix! Our first DVD by mail? The Godfather: Part II. I highly recommend seeing it, but just be prepared: it gets pretty sad toward the end (don't worry; I won't give it away). This Netflix thing is great; I've already put some other Best Picture winners on our queue, as well as a few seasons of ER.

#10: Read 30 non-academic books.
Well, Mere Christianity turned out to be a bit too...cerebral for me to read on the treadmill. I am going to finish it, though! I just decided that it might be easier to read something a little lighter while at the gym, so I started The Phantom of the Opera. I am loving it so far! It's been awhile since I read any fiction; I didn't realize how much I missed it!

#25: Eat at a famous restaurant.
#58: Order fish at a restaurant 5 times.
We were going to do a "staycation" with our tax refund this year, but instead we decided to just go out for a really fancy dinner and use the rest of the money for something else (Tom wanted a flat-screen TV...what a tough life). We chose the English Grill at the Brown Hotel, one of the oldest and nicest restaurants in Louisville and the birthplace of the famous Kentucky Hot Brown (insert my "nickname in high school" joke here). AAA has given this place the illustrious Four Diamond Award several years in a row, and it's made an appearance on Throwdown with Bobby Flay; Bobby challenged them to a Hot Brown throwdown and lost miserably. Now...I know the recipe for the Hot Brown is available online, and you can even buy Hot Browns at some of the grocery stores around here, but when I looked at the menu, I couldn't think of ordering anything else. But for our appetizer, we ordered smoked salmon. I was a little unsure about it because I'm not a huge fan of fish (which is why #58 is on the list, to challenge me)...but it was delicious! More details about the English Grill to come in my restaurant blog, but for now, suffice it to say that it was a fabulous experience!

1 comment:

  1. If you need to cheat on the fish thing, order a tuna steak. It tastes less like fish than any other fish out there.

    And some Netflix instant-watch suggestions:
    Firefly & the follow-up movie Serenity
    every season of 30 Rock (it's up there with Arrested Development)
    speaking of which... Arrested Development
    UHF (the Weird Al movie)
    Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (it's short and goofy)

    regular Netflix DVD suggestions:
    A Day At The Races (or any other Marx brothers movie)
    Fierce Creatures
    Clue (it has Tim Curry at his zaniest!)
    Primer (okay, it's a mind-bending low-budget sci-fi movie that I'm only suggesting for Tom)
    Merry Christmas (true story about the WWI Christmas Eve truce)

    ReplyDelete