Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Good Reads and a Good-bye

#10: Read 30 non-academic books.
I finished reading John Piper's Battling Unbelief a couple weeks ago. It's actually the first Piper book I've been able to read all the way through. (I can hear it now: "*gasp* And you're a seminary wife?!") When Tom and I started courting back in 2008, I tried to read Desiring God per Tom's recommendation, but I could never seem to concentrate long enough to get anything out of it. I'll have to give that another try sometime, though, because Battling Unbelief was great. The basic premise? All sin ultimately stems from unbelief, and the way to battle it is with a concept that Piper calls "faith in future grace": trusting God's promises in Scripture and looking ahead to the grace that God gives us on a daily basis. Great stuff. No wonder all the seminary folks like this Piper guy...

Last night, I finally finished The Tipping Point. This is the book that my father-in-law loaned me almost two years ago in exchange for Sein Language, and I'm just now finishing it. (Sorry, Dad!) I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this was one of the best books I've read in a very long time. It turns out that social epidemics are even more fascinating than I thought they were, which is saying a lot!

#64: Watch every season of ER.
We just finished season 11 last week, and my favorite character, Dr. Carter, left for Africa at the end of the last episode! (I know, I know, he was everyone's favorite.) I almost don't want to keep watching because I know the last four seasons won't be as good without him, but I do know he guest stars in a few episodes (including the series finale), so I guess that's reason enough to keep going with it...!

No comments:

Post a Comment