Friday, August 9, 2013

Let It Go

#88: Go a week without nagging Tom.
The book of Proverbs has plenty to say about wives who constantly nag their husbands...

Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.
Proverbs 21:9 AND 25:24

Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife.
Proverbs 21:19

A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping of a leaky roof in a rainstorm;
Proverbs 27:15

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can be this kind of wife sometimes.

I was thinking about all of this early last week because Tom and I were getting ready to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary, and I wanted to do something this year to really prepare for it mentally. Going a week without nagging Tom seemed like the perfect way.

So that's what I did. And buddy, it was hard. I guess anytime you share close quarters with someone who does most things completely differently than you do, it's hard not to dwell on those differences and point them out in a nagging or corrective way. But God's grace is sufficient. Not only did keeping my mouth shut create a more peaceful atmosphere in our home, but it allowed me to focus more on Tom's many wonderful qualities and all of the things he does for our family. He is a wonderful husband, and he deserves a "Proverbs 31" kind of wife. I believe God is able to shape me into just that.

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
Proverbs 31:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment