Friday, February 18, 2011

Praise Habit

#10: Read 30 non-academic books.
I finally finished The American Plague while waiting for the phone to ring at one of my recent job assignments. I also recently finished reading Praise Habit by David Crowder, a book I've had for over a year. The premise is that worship of God is not just something that we are called to do; it is woven into our very beings, and we cannot separate ourselves from it. He unpacks these ideas in a really genuine and funny way, using stories from his own life to illustrate the truths found in the Psalms. Initially, I wanted to read it simply because Crowder is a great worship leader, and I wondered if the book would help me do a better job when I help lead worship at church, which I get to do from time to time. What I was not expecting was for this book to help me be a better "lead worshiper," which is what my high school music teacher always said a good worship leader should be. When we truly realize who God is in comparison to who we are, and what He has done for us in Christ, how can our hearts do anything less than explode in appreciation?
Anyway, I told myself I wasn't going to start anymore new books until I finished the ones I was already reading...but I needed something to replace Praise Habit as my book to read at the gym, and all the other books I was currently reading were bulky hardcovers (except for my George Muller book, which I like to read before bedtime). So I broke my rule and started a new book that I've been meaning to read for ages: C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. I'm excited about it, but I've decided that I'm only going to read it at the gym, so that I can chip away at some of these other books that have been gathering dust lately...! I've also decided to go ahead and post the books that are on my "queue." I have a big stack next to my dresser just waiting to be read!

No comments:

Post a Comment