Sunday, June 5, 2011

Attack of the Mandolin!

#1: 100 new recipes.
#13: Use new kitchen gadget 10 times.
We did "breakfast for dinner" at small group this week! I volunteered to bring sauteed apples as a side/topping for the pancakes we were having. This is definitely one of the simplest recipes I've tried so far, but somehow I managed to complicate it. I won't list all the things that went wrong; I'll just tell you about the worst one.

See, I was using Granny Smiths, which are super tough compared to other apples, and the only way to get a good slice on them with my mandolin was to hold them tightly and directly with my hand, as opposed to the grip attachment that came with the mandolin. Well, I guess it was inevitable; I got the side of my thumb caught in the blade. (Don't worry, though; I inspected each slice very carefully, and no apples were tainted in the making of this dish.) Thank you to Tom for being quick with a Band-Aid for me! By the way, I decided not to take a picture of my thumb to post here. You're welcome.


Anyway, I got through about two apples with my mandolin before I gave up and just used a knife for the other six, which is probably what I should've done in the first place. But I think they actually turned out okay...! I do wish they looked a little more uniform, but they tasted great; I guess that's the important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment