Thursday, September 8, 2011

Workin' On It!

#28: Watch every Best Picture Oscar winner from 1961-2013.
Last week, we watched In the Heat of the Night. I think this is one of my new favorites on the list. I'd never seen a Sidney Poitier movie before, and he was great in this one...especially the famous "They call me Mister Tibbs!" scene. That was one of the AFI's Top 100 film quotes, and if you've seen the movie, you know why. Fantastic.

#13: Use new kitchen gadget at least 10 times.
We had roasted zucchini with dinner the other night, and I got to use my mandolin to slice them up. Then yesterday, I got to use it again, to slice cucumbers and tomatoes for a salad!

#1: 100 new recipes.
When people find out how much I love to cook, one of the questions I get asked most often is: "Do you make Indian food?" Well, now I can finally say "Yes, I do!" Behold: chicken tikka masala!


Ugh...I wish my phone had a better camera. Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike this camera? I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture at home the day I made it; this was taken a couple days later, when I took it to work for lunch. Just trust me, the chicken tikka masala tasted a lot better than this picture makes it look.

Well, Labor Day was earlier this week! To celebrate, Tom and I went on a brunch picnic, and I made overnight blueberry french toast. Now, I know, I made overnight apple french toast awhile back, but I think this recipe was different enough for me to count it as a new one.


If you try this recipe, please do me (and yourself) a favor and make the blueberry sauce to pour on top instead of regular syrup. Oh my goodness. So good.

#60: Start a new family tradition.
Actually, we decided to go on a picnic because we did one for Labor Day last year, and it was so much fun, we saw no reason not to keep doing it every year, even after we have kids. *dun dun dun* Hopefully this is the first of many Duttweiler family traditions!

#36: Take photos to spell out our last name and frame them.


While I was out running the other morning, I noticed the end of a rail in our neighborhood and was pleasantly surprised at how much it looked like the letter R. On our way home from our Labor Day "bricnic" (term for a brunch picnic, coined by my mother-in-law), I finally remembered to take a picture of it. I might crop this picture or something before printing it out, but I thought it was a pretty good one, especially since I don't know how many other places I'm going to find this particular letter. R is a tricky one!

No comments:

Post a Comment