Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fall Recipes

#1: 100 new recipes.
It's been over a month since I tried a new recipe?! Well, have no fear, fall weather is here, and with it comes a long list of recipes for cooler weather. And I tried several of them recently.


I love pears any time of year, but especially in the fall. We happened to have some canned pears that I originally got for a different recipe that never happened, so I turned them into a pear crisp (with a ginger snap topping!). The name was a little misleading, though; the topping on mine was soft, not crisp, but it was still really yummy!


I recently came across a recipe for pumpkin cornbread on Tasty Kitchen. I can't believe I never thought of this before. Pumpkin and cornbread are two of our favorite things around here; it only makes sense to combine them!


We got a bag of dry pinto beans during one of our most recent Food Lines. I was pretty excited about it, until I discovered that every recipe for cooking them the stove required at least an hour of simmering. That just wasn't going to work, especially during the week when I don't even get home until almost 5:30. But leave it to Paula Deen to come through in the clutch with a great slow-cooker recipe! So we had some tasty beans with dinner, and as a bonus, I finally made something I've wanted to make for years: Paula Deen's house seasoning. It's not complicated or anything; I just never got around to making it. FYI, it's 4 parts salt, 1 part ground black pepper, 1 part garlic powder...I made a lot so I could use it again. :)

In addition to the pumpkin cornbread, Tasty Kitchen also gave me a recipe for zucchini pancakes. I like zucchini bread, so I figured "why not?" Well...I had no clean measuring instruments; that's why not. *sigh* One of the many drawbacks of being without a dishwasher, especially during a week where I'm cooking a lot. Anyway, I'm still not at the point where I can "eyeball" things like that, so the measurements weren't quite right, and the pancakes turned out really weird. I didn't even bother taking a picture of them because they looked so bad. But they didn't taste bad, so I'd be willing to give this another try...you know, once we do the dishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment