Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Movie-ful Week

#13: Buy a new kitchen gadget and use it 10 times.
This goal is officially complete! I used my mandolin slicer for the tenth time earlier this week, and it was to make the one thing I was most excited about when I first bought it: french fries!


They turned out perfectly...well, the part that I used the julienne blade for, anyway. I probably should've baked them longer, 'cause they're looking a little...floppy. Anyway, just because this goal is done doesn't mean I'm done with my mandolin. It's been a huge help to me; I think I'll be using it for years to come.

#28: Watch every Best Picture Oscar winners from 1961-2013.
Thursday night, I watched Rain Man. Oh my goodness...I think that one might rival One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as my favorite so far. Dustin Hoffman was incredible. I never realized what a great actor he was, and then this year I've seen three of his best movies: Rain Man, Kramer vs. Kramer, and The Graduate (which wasn't a Best Picture winner, but whatev...it lost to In the Heat of the Night, which I can't really argue with).

#76: Go to a drive-in movie.
I've never done this, but I always thought it would be a lot of fun. Louisville actually used to have a lot of drive-in theaters, but they're all closed now. Fortunately, we found one that's still up and running about half an hour away, across the river in Georgetown, Indiana. We've been checking the website for months, waiting for them to show movies we actually wanted to see, and this weekend, we finally got the opportunity. It was good timing, too: they're just a few weeks away from closing for the season. Hello, date night!


In case you're wondering, we saw the two grown-up movies on Screen 2. :-p It was so much fun! The low temperature was around 40 that night, so we got to wear lots of layers and curl up in our slankets (that's a blanket with sleeves, by the way, but NOT a Snuggie...these were handmade by Tom's mom and sister). And we saw two pretty good movies for half the price of what we'd have paid at an indoor theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment