Monday, February 27, 2012

War is...well, you know.

#82: Resist the urge to quote or reference The Golden Girls for a month.
The Golden Girls is my favorite show of all time...but it's a little sad how much I love it. If I'm not watching it, I'm usually quoting it or relating a scene to some real-life situation or at least thinking about it. This show is, as one of the old men from When Harry Met Sally said, "burned on my brain." And quite honestly, I have a lot of fun with it, but I wish there were other things more readily on my mind (particularly Scripture...I haven't worked on memorizing Titus in months). So this is what I'm giving up for Lent this year. I realize that some people might think this is silly. To those people, I would say: spend 20 minutes around me, and you will soon discover how necessary this sacrifice is.

#28: Watch every Best Picture Oscar winner from 1961-2013.
On Saturday night, I watched Platoon. As one reviewer put it, this is definitely one of those movies that you endure, not enjoy. It was incredibly hard to watch, which was to be expected; it was set during the Vietnam War, which was just such a dark time in history, on so many levels. I don't consider myself a particularly emotional person, but about halfway through Platoon, I had moved beyond crying and onto sobbing uncontrollably. That being said, I won't say that I liked it, but it did make me think. Moreover, it made me want to pray even harder for our troops overseas, not just for their protection, but for relief from the internal struggles they inevitably face.
On a lighter note, the Oscars were on last night, which means I have another movie to add to my list...please welcome The Artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment