Friday, March 30, 2012

Thank You, Honey!

It's been way too long since my last post! Well, allow me to make up for some lost time...

#1: 100 new recipes.
One of my latest new recipes was a vegetarian chili that included sweet potatoes. It was a...mazing. I didn't miss the meat at all; there was so much flavor. And if there are any Cincinnatians reading this, you'll be pleased to know that this recipe also used cinnamon and unsweetened cocoa. You guys like putting that stuff in your chili, right? Weird...delicious, but weird. No offense, Cincy. You're OK by me.

You've probably seen those little tortilla pinwheels with various fillings? Well, I tried my hand at making them for a going-away party for one of our friends. The ones I made had seasoned wild rice, cream cheese, corned beef, and spinach; and they were really tasty! I'll have to make them again sometime, and maybe experiment with some different filling combinations.

After a weekend of good-tasting, not-so-good-for-you food, Tom wanted to have vegetables for dinner last week. So I made a squash casserole with sour cream and lots of Swiss cheese...oops. It was good, of course, but kinda defeated the purpose of having vegetables.


This week, my attempts at lighter weeknight dinners proved to be slightly more successful. We had things like baked tilapia and a Greek pasta salad that was terrific! It was loaded with vegetables, and not a drop of mayo in sight. And the best part is that I sort of came up with it myself! Pasta salad is pretty hard to mess up, but whatev.

On Friday, we had our friends James and Lyndie (and their sweet little girls, Sadie and Harper) over for dinner, and I made a tortilla casserole with black beans, sweet potatoes, and spinach. Oh my goodness...emphasis on the "good."

#51: Choose walking over driving 5 times.
After dinner on Friday, we all decided to go to the Pie Kitchen for dessert. It wasn't that far from our place, and the weather was fabulous, so we walked there! That was trip #5 for me, so consider this goal complete!

#38: Compliment or thank Tom for something specific every day for a month.


Tom's primary love language is "words of affirmation," but when it comes to verbalization, I'm all thumbs. Fortunately, this is an area in which God is growing me tremendously; I think I've gotten somewhat better at expressing my appreciation for him since we got married; and now, thanks to a little of what I like to call "Pinspiration," I've been able to step it up a little. I have a big pile of scrapbook paper and a sheet of letter stickers that will probably never be used for scrapbooking, so I put 'em together in a frame, and now I can express my gratitude with the help of a dry-erase marker. (I'm sure you noticed the crooked lettering. It's cutesy, right? Yeah...cutesy. I'm gonna go with that.) I've been keeping it up for a little over a month now, and I see no reason not to keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment