Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Curry, Comfort Food, and Cupcakes

Oh my goodness, more than half my time is up! I'd better get a move on; there are still way too many goals that I haven't even started yet!

#1: 100 new recipes.
Blame it on the Indian in me...I tried two more new curry recipes last week. Last Sunday night I made a vegetable stew with curry, chickpeas, and coconut milk...yum!

The next night, it was a curried quinoa salad with cranberries and veggies. It was my first time ever cooking quinoa, and it certainly won't be the last...it is so easy to cook, and it goes with just about everything! Unfortunately, I wasn't all that crazy about the salad by the second or third time I ate it. Too much raw onion, I think. It looked pretty, though.

This week, it was all about some comfort food. In my opinion, there is no greater comfort food than macaroni and cheese. I really wanted to try making it from scratch, but I also wanted to see if I could find a version that was slightly less bad-for-you. Well, look no further than thenest.com! I'm really starting to love cauliflower; I never really cared for it much before, but I am realizing that it is really versatile and a great substitute for pasta or potatoes, and this was no exception. It was fantastic! Once again, I didn't miss the carbs at all!

Speaking of food that's low-cal but still feels indulgent, I also tried a new dessert this week: mini cheesecakes made with pudding mix and Greek yogurt. Delicious!

And one more! My office does a Reward & Recognition party with a different theme every quarter, and this quarter's theme was Cupcake Wars! My entry was sort of a hybrid of two recipes: chai latte cupcakes and Hungry Girl's healthified cake recipe using applesauce and water instead of oil and eggs. The result was amazing: all the delicious wonderfulness of a chai latte-flavored cupcake with less guilt! Unfortunately they didn't rise very much, and they were a little difficult to frost, so they didn't have a chance at winning in the Appearance category, but whatevs. They tasted great, but then again, what else would you expect from chai?

Good grief. I have got to start remembering to take pictures of all this good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment