Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Shakespeare in What?

#28: Watch every Best Picture winner from 1961-2013.
I just watched Shakespeare in Love. Actually, I started watching it Sunday afternoon, and after finishing it last night, I have just one question...

How...in the world...did this movie win Best Picture?

Shakespeare in Love...? Shakespeare in Heat is more like it. "Oh, you're getting married next week? Let's have sex." "Oh, you were responsible for a man's death? Let's have sex." "A sword fight is breaking out in the middle of rehearsal? Let's make out under the stage." "Wait, you're still going to marry that other guy? But you and I had sex."

Good grief. Is that really what some people think love is? The two main characters didn't know each other at all; they didn't even have a real conversation until the end of the movie. I'm probably opening myself up to a lot of potential criticism here, but since not many people read this blog, I'm going to say it anyway: physical attraction is important to a good relationship (especially a good marriage), but it's not love. I'm not trying to be cynical or anything, just telling it like it is.

That stuff aside, I guess the movie had its entertaining moments (you know, the other half of the movie...the half that didn't take place in a bedroom?) and a boatload of great actors, but I didn't think it was Best Picture material. I'm no Roger Ebert, but there it is. Oh, and the final injustice? One of the other Best Picture nominees that year was none other than Saving Private Ryan! Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment