Monday, April 8, 2013

The Shortest Hour and 14 Minutes of My Life

#3: Participate in the Cooper River Bridge Run.
Of all the 99 goals on my list, this one might be the one that most intimidated me. I've mentioned before that I've never been a very athletic person, but once I tried running, I was hooked. In spite of that, I didn't feel very prepared for the Bridge Run when I signed up in December because I'd done a really bad job of making time for training, and that was a struggle right up to the day before the race.

Well, the Bridge Run was this past Saturday, and I survived! I ran as much as I could (maybe about 20% of my total time) and walked at a pretty good clip the rest of the time. My overall time was 1 hour, 14 minutes, and 19 seconds. For my very first time doing a race like this, I don't think that's half bad! I really have to brag on my husband, though...it was his first ever too, and he finished in under an hour! Here we are after crossing the finish line.

(Thanks, Mom, for taking this picture! My mom is a speedy one too; she walked the entire thing in 1 hour, 24 minutes!)

It really didn't feel like it took that long to finish, honestly...time flies when you're having fun, I guess. The race was challenging (to put it mildly), but I loved it; there are very few things that have made me feel as accomplished as crossing that finish line. I'm definitely doing it again next year, and I am determined to be prepared to run the whole thing. Wow, I can't even believe I'm saying that. Me? Run a 10K? Then again, two years ago, I had a hard time believing that I could even walk a 10K without keeling over. Anything is possible!

1 comment: