Friday, June 28, 2013

Do What Is Good

#15: Memorize a book of the Bible.
Well, it took me a couple of years, but I finally finished memorizing the book of Titus yesterday. Actually, it wouldn't have taken me nearly as long if I'd been more consistent. I went through a few spans where I'd sit down with a printout of Chapter 1, recite the first few verses from memory, then get frustrated and stop trying. Then a few months ago, I discovered that the perfect time to work on memorization was during my evening commute. I'd read a verse in my car and try to repeat it from memory before pulling out of the parking lot, then repeat it over and over until I was sure I had it. Then I'd back up and do the whole chapter, and eventually the whole book. Having Scripture on my mind and lips has really kept me from lashing out at other drivers (and if you've ever driven in Louisville, you know how challenging that can be), especially when I'm quoting passages like this one:
"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live--not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."
Self-controlled? Kind? Talk about convicting! And for being such a short book, Titus is chock-full of stuff like that. I'm glad to have it in my arsenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment